Saturday, May 5, 2007

Haus Meri

Yesterday was the first day that our haus meri came and worked for us. Here in PNG it is kind of expected the expatriates will a hire national woman as a haus meri (house help). I waited a while to hire one because I just didn't feel ready, but I finally decided it was time. Yesterday was her first day. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, but it's great to have the help around the house. The housework has always been my job and it feels strange having someone else do it for me, especially when I am home and when I consider the rate of pay that is expected for work such as this. Most American's would be appalled at how little these women are paid. My tendency is to want to pay her more, but I have to respect the economy here and paying her more would upset the balance. So, often we find other ways to supplement their income like throwing in a bag of rice with her pay.

The people of this country are rich by some standards. Most have land and gardens that produce enough to feed their family and sell some at market, but what they often don't have is much cash income. The biggest need for cash comes when their children enter school and school fees must be paid. Some of they ways that we are able to help them with this is by buying their goods at market and by hiring them as house and yard help.

One of the best things about having a haus meri (and yard meris) is that it gives me a relationship with a national. It gives me a window into the PNG culture and a chance to make a wontok (friend). My prayer is that through my relationships with our hired help, we can encourage one another in our walk with the Lord.

No comments: