Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Making bread

One of the things I was most nervous about before coming to PNG was baking my own bread. I was given a breadmaker by my aunt, but since our shipment hasn’t arrived yet, I’ve been making it by hand. I’ve come to the conclusion that making bread here in PNG is easier than making bread in the USA. I have had quite a few failed attempts at bread baking in the US. I never can seem to get it to rise well. Surprisingly, here in PNG I’ve had much better success. It may seem like a small victory, but I feel a sense of accomplishment every time my family bites into a sandwich or piece of toast made with my homemade bread.
One thing I have learned, though, is that not all bread products are created equal. After a couple of successful batched of bread, I decided to try my hand at making hamburger buns. Well, I tried… and failed miserably! Who knew that making homemade hamburger buns could be so much harder than baking a loaf of bread? Thankfully, my family is very understanding and puts up with my culinary failures!

No comments: